This unit consists of a study of selected Latin texts.
|Unit name||Advanced Latin A|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
|Discipline||History and Classics|
|Coordinator||Doctor Jonathan Wallis|
|Available as an elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Semester 1||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Read and translate original (unadapted) latin prose and poetry.
- Identify and explain the usage of latin grammatical structures.
- Speak with authority about selected literary works.
- Write in English with clarity about selected literary works and their historical and cultural contexts.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
Prerequisites25 points at intermediate level in Latin units
On campus enrolment
|Assessment||Grammar analysis (20%)|Final exam (40%)|Presentation (20%)|Translation exercises (20%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.