Remote and Extreme Environment Health-care practice requires health care providers to have an extended skill set and perform various tasks that are conventionally performed by other health care professionals. This unit provides a framework for learning and assessment in the following disciplines: plain radiography, real time point of care ultrasound scanning, regional anaesthesia, physiotherapy, and dentistry. The unit is to be completed piecemeal at the student’s convenience, rather than through enrolment in a given semester.
|Unit name||Practical Skills for Remote Health Care|
|College/School||College of Health and Medicine
School of Medicine
|Coordinator||Doctor Edmund (Edi) Albert|
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Delivered By||Delivered wholly by the provider|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Demonstrate the ability to perform radiographic studies to the standard of the Rural and Remote X-ray Operator’s Course
- Demonstrate the ability to perform real time ultrasound studies relevant to remote medical practice
- Demonstrate the ability to perform basic physical therapy management
- Demonstrate the ability to provide emergency dental treatment, and
- Demonstrate the ability to provide a range of regional anaesthetic blocks relevant to remote medical practice.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
Practical sessions ( total of 130hrs)
|Assessment||Practical Assessment 1 (30%)|Practical Assessment 2 (20%)|Practical Assessment 3 (15%)|Practical Assessment 4 (20%)|Practical Assessment 5 (15%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.