This unit of study aims to provide you with practical engineering experience in an environment outside the University and improve your awareness of the issues associated with professional practice. In so doing, it will ensure your perceptions of engineering during your studies develop alongside the realities of practice.
|Unit name||Work Placement A|
|Faculty/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Engineering
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Semester 1 - other||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
|Hobart||Semester 2 - other||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|Semester 1 - other||22/2/2021||23/3/2021||12/4/2021||30/5/2021|
|Semester 2 - other||12/7/2021||10/8/2021||30/8/2021||17/10/2021|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
1. Apply well developed skills in application letter writing, resume writing, and interview skills, through engagement with companies to gain placement
2. Appraise design concepts and general engineering work by engaging in a range of work experiences with practicing engineers in your chosen field
3. Demonstrate the development of workplace skills of team work, working autonomously, problem solving and decision making, by reflecting on the experiences encountered during the 6 week placement
4. Enhance your professional skills through career development to facilitate work placement
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 The information on Approved Pathway courses can be found here.
If you have any questions in relation to the fees, please contact UConnect or more information is available on StudyAssist.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
3 major assessments: Resume (25%), EA online career development module (25%) and reflective diary (50%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Booktopia textbook links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.