This unit extends your knowledge learnt in ENG321 and focuses on the design of aspects of advanced timber structures such as timber-framed multi-storey residential or commercial buildings. Students will extend prior knowledge of design actions based on current Australian design standards and to evaluate the fire safety and serviceability performance in terms of deflection and vibration of a timber building structure.
|Unit name||Advanced Timber Design|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Engineering
|Coordinator||Doctor Assaad Taoum|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Determine permanent, imposed, wind and fire design actions through applying Australian Design Standards
- Evaluate the ultimate and serviceability limit state performance of timber structures in accordance with Australian design standards.
- Design advanced timber structures for residential or commercial applications governed by Australian Standards.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
2 x 180 minutes lecture weekly, 1 x 60 minute tutorial weekly, 4 practical sessions
|Assessment||Design of a Timber Structure - PART 1 (40%)|Weekly quizzes (20%)|Design of a Timber Structure - PART 2 (40%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.