How can you make a complaint?

If you feel that the University has not acted in accordance with the University’s Privacy Policy or the Privacy Statements below, you may make a complaint in writing or by email to the General Counsel, who is also the University’s Privacy Officer and Data Protection Officer.

Legal Services
Division of the Chief Operating Officer
Private Bag 42,  Hobart TAS 7001

2nd Floor, Corporate Services Building
TT Flynn Street, Sandy Bay TAS 7005

Phone: +61 3 6226 5536

The University will investigate any enquiry or complaint within a reasonable time and notify the complainant of a decision in writing (usually within 30 days from the date on which the complaint was received).

The Tasmanian Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the response from the General Counsel a complaint can be made to the Tasmanian Ombudsman.

Phone: 1800 001 170
Postal: GPO Box 960, Hobart TAS 7001

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner

If the complaint relates to the use of an individual’s personal information in relation to a contract between the University and the Commonwealth Government or, if there is a Commonwealth link or Commonwealth agency involved, the complaint can be made to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

Post: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: +61 2 9284 9666
Fax: +61 2 9284 9666

If the complainant is a data subject in the EEA and the complaint relates to the handling of personal data by the University, the complainant may also make a complaint to an appropriate supervisory authority (within the meaning of the GDPR) of an EEA country.

Refer to the contact details of supervisory authorities in the European Union.