25 September 2023
Domestic / International
About the research project
Recent advances in technology, such as artificial intelligence (AI) and automation, have implications for the accounting profession and accounting education. These technologies can handle structured repetitive tasks, large data, and audit functions, which were previously completed by accountants. Accordingly, the Big 4 accounting firms have committed significant investments in the use of AI, robotic process automation, and similar technologies to avail the opportunities recent developments present. Similarly, universities are grappling with this new reality as the use of AI tools by students has prompted issues of academic integrity, authentic assessments, and student learning. On the positive side, integration of AI into the accounting curricula can help students to be job ready.
This project aims to understand the opportunities and challenges of the integration of AI in the accounting profession and/or accounting education. Mixed methodology approaches, including quantitative and qualitative, will be adopted to examine the perspectives of various stakeholders, including accounting professionals, regulators, accounting academics, and accounting students, to understand this multifaceted topic.
The research findings are likely to be of significance to the accounting profession, accounting schools, accounting academics, accounting graduates, regulators, and policymakers who are interested in understanding the potential opportunities and challenges associated with the integration of AI into accounting.
Primary SupervisorMeet Dr Amrinder Khosa
Applicants will be considered for a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or Tasmania Graduate Research Scholarship (TGRS) which, if successful, provides:
- a living allowance stipend of $31,500 per annum (2023 rate, indexed annually) for 3.5 years
- a relocation allowance of up to $2,000
- a tuition fees offset covering the cost of tuition fees for up to four years (domestic applicants only)
If successful, international applicants will receive a University of Tasmania Fees Offset for up to four years.
As part of the application process you may indicate if you do not wish to be considered for scholarship funding.
Other funding opportunities and fees
For further information regarding other scholarships on offer, and the various fees of undertaking a research degree, please visit our Scholarships and fees on research degrees page.
Applicants should review the Higher Degree by Research minimum entry requirements.
Ensure your eligibility for the scholarship round by referring to our Key Dates.
Additional eligibility criteria specific to this project/scholarship:
- Applicants must be able to undertake the project on-campus
The project is competitively assessed and awarded. Selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the project as determined by the College.
Additional essential selection criteria specific to this project:
- You should have prior experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research, evidenced by Honours or Masters degree in the area of accounting or a related field
- You should be technology savvy and be comfortable navigating online platforms
Additional desirable selection criteria specific to this project:
- Relevant publication in ranked academic journals (ABDC or Scopus)
- Select your project, and check that you meet the eligibility and selection criteria, including citizenship;
- Contact Dr Amrinder Khosa to discuss your suitability and the project's requirements; and
- In your application:
- Copy and paste the title of the project from this advertisement into your application. If you don’t correctly do this your application may be rejected.
- Submit a signed supervisory support form, a CV including contact details of 2 referees and your project research proposal.
- Apply prior to 25 September 2023.
Following the closing date applications will be assessed within the College. Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome by email by the advertised outcome date.