There are a number of costs associated with attending University. A summary of these costs for domestic students commencing study in 2018 is provided below (all costs are approximate):
- Text books and stationery: we recommend allowing up to $1000
- Accommodation: for those students moving away from home, we recommend allowing $6000 - $13,000
- Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS-HELP): $6444 - $10,754 (as noted in the table below)
- Student Services and Amenities Fee
HECS fees are charged at different rates depending on your selection of subjects. For more information, ring the Australian Taxation Office HECS enquiries number 132 861 or visit the studyassist.gov.au website. As a guide, the three different levels of HECS (for domestic students) are indicated below:
|Band 1||Band 2||Band 3|
$6444* per full-time year
$9185* per full-time year
$10,754* per full-time year
Visual & Performing Arts
- Education and nursing students who began their course as a Commonwealth supported student before 1 January 2010 may be charged less than the 2016 maximum amount listed above for units in education and nursing.
- If you are a mathematics, science, education, nursing or midwifery graduate you may be eligible for a HECS-HELP Benefit.
For detailed information about Band classifications, visit studyassist.gov.au
The Commonwealth HECS-HELP benefit aims to encourage graduates of mathematics, science, education or nursing courses of study to take up employment in related occupations – eligible graduates have the ability to reduce their HELP repayments and/or debt by applying for a HECS-HELP benefit.
The University of Tasmania offers a comprehensive scholarships program for commencing and current students. For more information and applications, visit the Scholarships website.
Youth Allowance (for people aged between 16 and 24 years), Austudy (for people 25 years or more) and Abstudy are Australian Government schemes that provide financial assistance to eligible students. Information booklets and application forms for these schemes are available from:
- Youth Allowance on 132490
- Austudy on 132490
- Abstudy on 132317
- or visit the Australian Government Department of Human Services website