A fee waiver is a discount that is applied to a student fee, which reduces or waives the fee.
A HECS waiver is a particular type of fee waiver, which is applied to the student contribution amount (aka HECS fee) that is charged to students studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). HECS waivers may also be referred to as a HECS scholarship.
- You must be enrolled at the University of Tasmania and studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) to be eligible to be considered.
- Available for units studied at the University of Tasmania only.
- The majority of HECS waivers will cover your fees up to a maximum of 25 credit points.
- You can apply annually. Apply before the census date in the study period you would like to be supported for. Unfortunately, we can’t consider your application after the census date.
- If you are receiving a fee waiver, and there is a change to your current or future which may affect your eligibility, please contact us to let us know.
Fee waiver assessments occur several times a year.
|Study period||Applications open||Applications close|
|Nursing Study Period 1||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Accelerated Study Period 1||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Semester 1||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Nursing Study Period 2||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Accelerated Study Period 2||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Semester 2||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Nursing Study Period 3||1 January 2022||TBA|
|Accelerated Study Period 3||1 January 2022||TBA|
These are assessments are for the 2022 academic year only.
If you are applying for a Fee Waiver in a study period that is not listed above, please contact us.
Available fee waivers
Find out if you are eligible for one of the featured fee waivers and apply online.
Merit and access scholarships
Fee waivers are separate to the Scholarships and Bursaries Prizes Program.
If your fees are to be paid for by a University of Tasmania-approved third party, please provide written authorisation from the sponsoring organisation to UTAS.Sponsors@utas.edu.au. The authorisation will need to include the following details:
- Details of the student being sponsored, eg. Name, Student ID number.
- Name of Course or Unit being funded by the Sponsor
- Sponsor's Name and email address for invoicing purposes.
- Contact person within the organisation
- Sponsor's Address and Phone Details
By entering into a sponsorship arrangement you, the student, understand that:
- you are responsible for the payment of all fees relevant to your course of study at the University of Tasmania within the specified deadlines, with the exception of the fees agreed to be paid by your sponsor; if your sponsor defaults, you remain liable for the fees.
- you consent to the provision of details of your student record and course to your sponsor.
For further information about University of Tasmania-approved organisations, please contact us.