The Tasmanian Education Sector Waiver provides an opportunity for professional development in education to the Tasmanian Education Sector, including Department of Education, TasTAFE, Catholic Education and Independent Schools. The waiver is for 100% of HECS costs in the courses listed. Study can be undertaken either full or part time. This waiver applies to students commencing studies in 2022, 2023 or 2024.
Students who commenced study prior to 2022 who are undertaking, or who can transfer to, the courses applicable to the revised TES HECS Waiver will also receive a 100% HECS Waiver. Students who commenced study prior to 2022 who are not undertaking one of the applicable courses are advised that previous Waiver arrangements will apply i.e. 100% HECS Waiver for a maximum of two units per year. This arrangement will finish at the end of 2024.
Available to Tasmanian Education Sector staff who:
- meet the course entry requirements for one of the following courses:
- are employed by the Department of Education (DOE), TasTAFE, a Catholic school in Tasmania, or one of many Independent schools in Tasmania; and
- are employed on a continuing basis (full-time and part-time) or who are on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or more; and
- will continue to be employed within the sector while undertaking the HECS waiver units; and
- are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people - visit Study Assist for eligibility guidelines); and
- are not currently receiving any other University of Tasmania HECS waivers.
To retain eligibility for this waiver, Tasmanian Education Sector staff will be expected to:
- be enrolled in a minimum of two units per year (where the course structure permits) and must remain enrolled until after the University Census Date relevant to the semester of study. Students on an approved Leave of Absence are exempt from this requirement for the duration of their approved LOA; and
- engage in their units. Students who have not engaged and receive a result of Absent Deemed Failed (AN) for all enrolled units in a given study period, will not retain the waiver from the following study period onward and cannot have the waiver reinstated.
100% HECS waiver for all units studied each year.
- Apply to study one of the eligible courses listed above.
- Once you have received your offer, follow the instructions to accept your place.
- Complete your enrolment in eStudent - follow this guide to enrolling.
- Apply for the Tasmanian Education Sector Waiver.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application via your University of Tasmania email address.