The rugby action was fast and furious when the University of Tasmania hosted the first round of the Aon Women’s University Sevens Series in Launceston recently.
Held over two days at University of Tasmania Stadium, the University of Queensland went home with the win, defeating Bond University in the final.
Despite finishing in eighth spot, the University of Tasmania Lions pushed hard against teams from strong rugby states.
The 24 strong rugby squad is comprised of students, local players, Australian women’s sevens representatives and elite athletes from abroad.
University of Tasmania students selected for the side are Michaelyne Arumbi, Wynonah Conway, Jessica Dobbie, Kristina Farrelly, Rebecca Hyland, Caitlin Ryan and Brielle Quigley.
They will don the red jerseys alongside high-profile national players including Shanice Parker, as well as Sydnee Watanabe and Kiki Morgan from the United States.
Inspired by Australia’s women’s sevens success at Rio, Aon Women’s Uni 7s Series was announced by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) earlier this year to increase the number of pathways for aspiring athletes to progress towards national selection, while playing alongside the world’s best.
The Lions will go onto to compete in the next two-day tournament, which will be held at Macquarie University in Sydney on 9 and 10 September 2017.
2017 Aon Uni 7s Series Ladder, Round One:
• 1st: University of Queensland, 20 points
• 2nd: Bond University, 18 points
• 3rd: Macquarie University, 16 points
• 4th: Griffith University, 14 points
• 5th: University of New England, 12 points
• 6th: University of Canberra, 10 points
• 7th: University of Adelaide, 8 points
• 8th: University of Tasmania, 6 points
2017 Women's Aon Uni 7s Series dates:
• Round 1 - University of Tasmania Stadium, Launceston, 25-26 August
• Round 2 - Macquarie University fields, Sydney, 9-10 September
• Round 3 - University of Queensland fields, Brisbane, 16-17 September
• Round 4 - Bond University fields, Gold Coast, 29-30 September