The commitment of Children's University schools to child-led learning outside the classroom is key to great outcomes for children and young people, who can only aspire to what they know exists.
By encouraging and celebrating learning outside school hours, Children’s University fosters curiosity and a love of learning, warm relationships between families, schools and the university, and builds bridges to employment and higher education.
CU school coordinators, one or more staff members in a school, are supported by the CU Tasmania team to:
- organise annual launches and relaunches of the program;
- communicate with families;
- identify learning opportunities at lunchtime, recess and after school;
- provide regular meetings with CU members to stamp passports and discuss learning opportunities;
- assess student engagement with the CUA portal;
- maintain member registers;
- assist with graduation preparations; and
- celebrate with students at graduation ceremonies.
School principals play an important role in the celebration of their students' achievements at graduation.
"I think it is one of the best programs I have encountered in 40 years of education." - retired principal Denise Wotherspoon.
Benefits of Children's University
Research has demonstrated that children who participate in Children’s University activities have, as a consequence, better attendance records than children in the same school who do not participate.
To be able to succeed in other contexts, to visit places beyond one’s own immediate neighbourhood, to see the inside of a university is demonstrated in the data as extending horizons of the possible.
Children’s University participants are encouraged to develop a sense of power, decision making and initiative, allowing them to take control of their own learning journey.
Our current schools
Children's University Tasmania works in partnership with 51 schools and learning hubs and has about 1300 active members.
- East Tamar Primary School
- Exeter Primary School
- George Town Neighbourhood House
- Invermay Primary School
- Northern Suburbs Community Centre
- Our Lady of Mercy Primary School
- St Leonards Primary School
- Summerdale Primary School
- Waverley Primary School
- Devonport High School
- East Devonport Primary School
- Latrobe High School
- Miandetta Primary School
- Montello Primary School
- Parklands High School
- Penguin District School
- Romaine Park Primary School
- Sacred Heart Primary School Ulverstone
- West Ulverstone Primary School
- Wilmot Primary School
- Austins Ferry Primary School
- Bagdad Primary School
- Bothwell District School
- Bowen Road Primary School
- Brighton Primary School
- Collinsvale Primary School
- Cosgrove High School
- Cygnet Primary School
- Derwent Valley Future Action Team
- Dover District School
- Fairview Primary
- Franklin Primary School
- Geeveston Primary School
- Glen Huon Primary School
- Glenora District School
- Goodwood Primary
- Hobart City High School
- Howrah Primary School
- Huonville High School
- Huonville Primary School
- JRLF Herdsmans Cove Primary School
- Kempton Primary School
- Rokeby Primary School
- Rosetta Primary School
- Springfield Gardens Primary School
- Mountain Heights District School
- St Joseph's Primary School Queenstown
- St Joseph's Primary School Rosebery
- Strahan Primary School
- Zeehan Primary School