lThis unit will provide advance training to obtain cell culture skills in the field of pharmaceutical and biomedical science essential to successfully complete the required research project. The purpose of this unit is to introduce the advance laboratory and cell culture skills that researchers are required to utilise on a regular basis. After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Perform diagnostic and investigative applications of cell culture techniques,
2. Perform different types of survival cytotoxic assays,
3. Evaluate the effects of pharmaceutical ingredients on different types of cell lines, and
4. Communicate their findings
|Unit name||Application of Cell Culture in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Research|
|Faculty/School||College of Health and Medicine
Tasmanian School of Medicine
Associate Professor Nuri Guven
Dr Nicole Bye
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2020 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2020 will be available from the 1st October 2019.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|2||2020: $2,381.00||2020: $4,708.00||060501|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
CSA741 Basic Laboratory Skills in Pharmaceutical Science and Cell Culture
CSA742 Introduction to Analytical and Cell Culture Techniques
CSA743 Application of Chromatography in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Research
6 × 1-hour tutorials, 26 × 2-hour online learning activities, 26 × 2-hour laboratory sessions.
Online quizzes (4 × 5% each; total 20%); Submission of practical reports (2 × 25% each; total 50%); Practical 1 hour exam (1 × 30%).
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Booktopia textbook links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.