What academic dress to wear
- The University does not make the wearing of academic dress compulsory, but would prefer all those participating in the ceremony to wear it.
- The graduation ceremony is a formal occasion and students and their guests are encouraged to dress appropriately. As a guide, dress which would be suitable for a special dinner or a job interview would also be suitable for the graduation ceremony.
- The colours associated with academic dress generally distinguish the College to which you belong (or, in some cases, the discipline within a College).
- Academic dress used at the University of Tasmania is patterned on that used at the University of Oxford.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are invited to wear a coloured scarf to identify their cultural heritage, supplied by the Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor Aboriginal Leadership.
- Academic dress not sourced through the University's preferred suppliers (included below) may not provide you with regalia that is an exact match to the University's Academic Dress Procedure.
Hiring academic dress
- The Compass Group provides academic dress hire and sale to all graduands and staff members, and for the December 2020 graduation ceremonies this is booked when you register to attend in a graduation ceremony through the Reed Graduation Services portal.
- If you have hired academic dress as part of your ceremony registration, details will be included on the confirmation email received from the Reed Graduation Services team.
- Payment is required at the time of booking academic dress.
- Details for the collection/return of your hired academic dress will also be included on the confirmation email.
- At the specified times, please collect your academic dress from the Compass Group. They will know your award and will supply you with the correct colours.
- If you are unable to collect your hired academic dress during the nominated collection times, please contact the Compass Group.
Academic dress hire costs
|Gown||$50 (purchase price from $290)|
|Hood or stole||$30 (purchase price from $100)|
|Cap (mortar board)||$40 (This is yours to keep)|
|Tudor bonnet (PhD only)||$40 (This is a hire item)|
How to wear academic dress
- Academic dress is worn over your normal attire.
- The Compass Group staff will be present prior to the ceremony to help you with your academic dress. Staff members will not be able to assist with dressing and pinning due to COVID-19 restrictions, however they will be available to provide advice and direction.