Skip to content


Most international students require a student visa to study at the University of Tasmania (UTAS).

You must obtain your visa before arriving in Australia, so please make sure you allow enough time for visa processing when deciding on your course start date. If you have not received your visa in time, you may need to contact us to defer your course to a later start date.

Some students may be able to use a different kind of visa. For more information on visas please contact the Department of Home Affairs or your local Australian Embassy or High Commission.

Visa application process

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for a full-time, CRICOS-registered course of study at UTAS.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs or contact your local Australian Government overseas office to find out about the type of visa you require, how to apply and what documents you need to support your application.

You may find it helpful to have a UTAS-authorised agent to assist you with your visa application. Search our University of Tasmania agent network site to find the nearest UTAS agent to you.

Please note that the University of Tasmania is not able to help with your application and has no influence on the application process.

Visa application checklists

The Department of Home Affairs provides checklists to help you complete the visa application process.

Simplified processing

From 1 July, 2016, the Simplified Student Visa Framework applies to all Australian education providers.

Bringing your family

Temporary Student Visas may allow students to bring family members to Australia as 'dependents'. Refer to Department of Home Affairs to determine the possibility of your family accompanying you while you undertake study in Australia.

For more information about schooling in Tasmania visit Dependent Students.

Getting advice

While we can give you some general advice about your student visa, we are not trained migration agents. If you have any questions about student visas, non-student visas or spousal visas, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs for advice.