Back to Study with us


Confused by words and terms used by universities? Don't be! Here is our friendly guide to help.

Accept (or accept offer): Once you receive an offer, you need to accept the offer to continue to enrolment.

Academic transcript: An official document issued by the University as a record of a student's completed units and results. A student can purchase official copies of their academic transcript through UConnect or eStudent. Graduates are sent a complementary transcript after their graduation ceremony.

Admission pathway: Any one of the options available to a prospective higher education student that will enable them to meet the entry requirements of their chosen courses.

Advanced standing: Refer to 'Credit assessment'.

Advanced level unit: a unit which builds upon knowledge and skills attained from introductory and intermediate level units and is generally the highest level of unit in bachelors degrees. These units are designated with the first numeric code of 3 (for example HGA314).

Apply/application: To study at the University of Tasmania, you need to apply for one or more courses. For domestic students, the application is submitted via an online portal on the University of Tasmania website called 'eApplication'. For international students, the application is submitted via an online portal on the University of Tasmania website called 'StudyLink'.

Area of study: Refer to 'Discipline'.

Ask Us: An online resource where you will find answers to many of your questions. The University of Tasmania database which provides answers to frequently asked questions.

Associate degree: A qualification awarded at university after completion of a two-year, full-time designated course, e.g. an Associate Degree in Agribusiness.

Award: Completion of a course will typically result in an award. This is the formally recognised outcome of completing a course's requirements, such as an award of Bachelor of Arts.

Bachelor's degree: A qualification awarded at university after completion of an undergraduate course of at least three years, full-time, e.g. Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts.

Breadth units: Designed to broaden your learning, these units will provide you with the opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills in a subject different to the discipline you have chosen. Leading universities and employers around the globe all recognise the need for a rounded perspective in their graduates and employees.

Bridging course: If a course requires a prerequisite in an area that students have not studied or worked with before, a bridging course will help students to 'bridge the gap' and gain admission.

Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF): A CAF is required to be filled out by all Commonwealth supported students prior to the relevant census date. Domestic students in a full-fee paying place may choose to complete the CAF if they are eligible and choosing not to pay their fees up front. As of 2019, there are no longer any paper versions of these forms – students must access the electronic version (eCAF) via eStudent. Refer to 'eCAF'.

Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN): A CAN is issued to all students during each semester who have requested Commonwealth assistance. The CAN contains information about a student's enrolment, the student contribution amounts, HELP debt, and any upfront payments. CANs are in eStudent under 'Details' > 'Documents'. A CAN will not be produced for students who have not received a Government contribution to their fees.

Census date: The final date by which students need to confirm their enrolment record is accurate. Students who wish to withdraw from a unit must formally do so prior to census date, otherwise they will be liable for the fees and charges for that unit.

Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN): A unique identifying number that stays with a student for life. A CHESSN helps institutions and the Australian Government provide a student with information about any Commonwealth assistance (scholarships, HELP loans or VET Student Loans) they may have received.

College: A formal academic body responsible for the administration of courses and units in closely related discipline, e.g. the College of Health and Medicine oversees all University of Tasmania courses relating to health and medicine.

Campus: The area in which the university grounds and buildings are located, e.g. Sandy Bay campus.

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP): A Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) may be offered to Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens, holders of an Australian permanent visa, or holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa. The Australian Government contributes to the tuition fee for all students in CSPs. Refer to 'Domestic applicant / student'. The remaining amount of the tuition fee is called the student contribution – students can choose whether to pay this amount upfront or, if eligible, defer payment via a Commonwealth loan (HECS-HELP).

Core: A unit or set of units that are compulsory to the requirements of a degree or major.

Corequisite: A unit that must be studied concurrently with another unit in the same semester.

Course: A defined series of units that together form a qualification, e.g. the Bachelor of Education course. The course is what you apply for. Refer to 'Associate degree', 'Undergraduate (study)', 'Postgraduate (study)' for more about course levels.

Course and Unit Handbook: The Course and Unit Handbook is an online resource that contains information on all courses and units (individual subjects) currently offered by the University of Tasmania.

Credit assessment: The recognition of prior studies (either at another institution or in another course at the University of Tasmania) that counts towards the requirements for your current course. The credit granted may be 'specified', i.e. the credit may be granted for a particular unit, or 'unspecified'. This is also referred to as 'advanced standing' or 'recognition of prior learning (RPL)'.

Credit points: The University of Tasmania uses a percentage point weighting system for its units. A full-time enrolment for one year is 100% weight (100 credit points). Most semester-long units are weighted at 12.5% each (12.5 credit points), and a full-time enrolment usually consists of 4 units at 12.5 credit points in each semester, which equals 50 credit points x 2 semesters = 100 credit points for one year.

Cross-institutional study: Enrolment in a course at another higher education institution, to be counted as credit towards degree requirements at the 'home' university where the award will be granted.

Deferral: New students who are commencing their course can apply to defer the start date of their course for up to 12 months. This needs to be applied for before the relevant study period census date. Deferrals can be applied for in eApplication.

Degree core knowledge units: A course's units that are mandatory for all students enrolled in the course. These units will consist of learning that is critical to the subject being studied.

Degree electives: Optional units that may be chosen from your course's available units. You may have to meet certain requirements to be able to enrol in these units, such as pre-requisites or unit quotas. These requirements are explained in the Course and Unit Handbook.

Discipline: A field of related studies, e.g. the disciplines of Physics, Mathematics, History, Latin.

Domestic applicant / student: You are a domestic applicant / student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

eApplication: 'eApp' is the University of Tasmania's online application system for domestic students for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. For international student applications and research degrees, refer to 'StudyLink'.

eCAF: The online Government forms for Commonwealth Assistance known as eCAF (electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form). Also refer to 'CAF'.

Elective(s): Refer to degree electives and/or student electives.

Enrol/enrolment: Courses are made up of individual units in which students must enrol each calendar year. Enrolling in a unit means the student is formally registered to attend the unit's classes.

Enabling and supporting programs: A group of units designed to assist students with their preparations for study, meeting university prerequisites, and to build skills. Refer to 'Pathways'.

eStudent: eStudent is the University of Tasmania's online system for student administration for a number of tasks, such as enrolling in units and the completion of fee-related forms.

Exams/examinations: For some units, exams form part of their overall assessment. Exams are usually held over a two-week period at the end of semester.

Experience and engagement units: Units that aim to support student choice, allowing the student to customise their experience to suit their skills, interest, or career pathways. When offered, typically a minimum of two units and a maximum of eight units.

FEE-HELP: A loan scheme that assists eligible fee-paying students with their payment of all or part of their tuition fees. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books. The total amount of FEE-HELP a person can use is known as the 'FEE-HELP limit'. Once a person begins using FEE-HELP, the amount of FEE-HELP they have left to use is known as their 'FEE-HELP balance'.

Fee refund: Students may request a refund on the following basis: overpayment of tuition fees; if the unit does not commence on the published start date; or if the unit commences but is not offered to completion. Approved refunds are paid within four weeks of receipt of a completed Request for Refund Form.

Full Fee Paying: A Full Fee Paying place may be offered to Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens, holders of an Australian permanent visa, or holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa. The Australian Government does not contribute to the tuition fee for these students, therefore their tuition fee must either be paid upfront or deferred via a Commonwealth loan (FEE-Help), if eligible.

Full-time (study): Refer to 'Study load'.

Foundation unit: Units that aim to provide students with no prior familiarity of a subject the necessary skills and knowledge required for studying units at an introductory level.

General degree: A course of study with unit choices available from a broad range of study areas within a college. Examples of general degrees are the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science.

Graduation: Once a student has met the requirements of their course, they will be eligible to graduate. Students may choose to attend a graduation ceremony and will receive an official copy of their award (testamur) and academic transcript once they have graduated.

Intermediate level unit: A unit that builds upon knowledge and skills attained from introductory level units and is assessed at a higher level. These units are normally designated as second year units and can be identified with first numeric code of the unit code being 2 (or 200 level units).

International applicant / student: You are an international applicant / student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa, or
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.

Introductory level unit: An entry-level unit which would normally be taken in the first year of study, but may be taken in later years, subject to the degree requirements. These units are currently designated as first year and can be identified with the first numeric code of the unit code being 1 (or 100 level units).

Major: An area of specialisation continued for the duration of your degree. Students undertake more units related to their major/s than for other areas of study.

Micro-credential: A micro-credential is a form of certification that indicates evidence of attainment against clearly articulated learning outcomes and may represent partial completion of a broader award course.

Mutually exclusive units (or m/excl): A unit that becomes unavailable should you already be enrolled in, or have successfully completed, a similar unit with overlapping content. For example, a student who is enrolled in KGA100 Geography & Environmental Studies 1 cannot enrol in KGA101 Geography & Environmental Studies 1A due to the overlapping learning objectives between the two units. The mutually exclusive units are specified in the Course and Unit Handbook. Sometimes also referred to as an 'anti-requisite'.

MyLO: MyLO is the online learning environment at the University of Tasmania. MyLO stands for My Learning Online. For all units with an online presence, MyLO is the system which is used to host the unit's online materials and activities.

Orientation: A period of time prior to the commencement of the study period that is devoted to welcoming new and returning students to life at the University of Tasmania. Orientation is run for one week prior to the commencement of semesters 1 and 2 and is available to both on-campus and off-campus students.

Overseas Health Cover (OSHC): Mandatory health insurance for all international students which must cover them for the entire duration of their study in Australia. OSHC helps international students cover any medical expenses whilst in Australia and is a requirement of a student visa.

Pathways: A group of units designed to assist students with their preparations for study, meeting university prerequisites, and to build skills. Refer to 'Enabling and supporting programs'.

Placement: Refer to 'Practicum'.

Postgraduate (study): Further study for a higher qualification following the successful completion of a bachelors degree (or equivalent recognition). E.g., graduate diploma or masters.

Practicum: A unit in which the emphasis is on gaining practical professional experience, normally in the workplace.

Preparation programs: The University of Tasmania offers preparation and enabling programs to students who do not meet the general entry requirements, or who may need additional skills, confidence, or knowledge before commencing a degree.

Prerequisite: A unit, level of study, or another requirement which must be successfully completed before undertaking a unit, e.g. to undertake HGA203 Social and Political Research, students need to have successfully undertaken 25 credit points of introductory level units.

Proxy: Due to the University's privacy policy, we are not, except where required to by law, able to discuss your enrolment, fees, results, or other specific topics with unauthorised third parties, including family members, friends, and employers. A proxy, however, is a person who has been authorised to represent you and speak on your behalf. If you would like to give another person – e.g., a family member – permission to speak on your behalf, you can request a Proxy Nomination Form from UConnect.

Recognition of prior learning (RPL): A process used to assess an individual's relevant prior learning (including formal, informal, and non-formal learning) to determine the credit that may be granted towards completion of a qualification. Refer to 'Credit Assessment'.

SA-HELP: SA-HELP is a Government loan scheme that assists students with their payment of their Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). If students do not wish to pay SSAF up-front, eligible students can choose to defer all or part of their fee for the relevant semester. If students use SA-HELP, the amount will be added to their accumulated HELP debt. Eligible students can take out a SA-HELP loan even if they do not wish to take out any other HELP loan (such as HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP). The SA-HELP form can be completed in eStudent.

Semester: A formal university teaching period. There are two main semesters, each comprising 13 weeks of teaching: semester 1 runs from late-February to the end of May; semester 2 runs from mid-July to mid-October.

Short course: A practical training course for the purpose of employment accreditation, community need, bridging knowledge, or skills and capability development which may have an attached micro-credential and/or Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) alignment

Specialisation: A grouping of units in a particular area of study which are recognised as a formal sequence of study, e.g. French, Computing, Economics. In some cases, the specialisation you have studied will be included in the name of your award; however, not all degrees include a named specialisation.

Student elective(s): Units which may be taken from any available subject for which the student is eligible in any discipline, subject to degree unit level requirements, unit prerequisites, and unit quotas.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF): The Student Services and Amenities Fee is a compulsory Commonwealth Government fee for all domestic students which is paid to the University to allow for the provision of support services to students. The fee is to be paid twice yearly (from January – June and July – December) and payment can be made via eStudent. An invoice is uploaded into eStudent at the start of semester 1 and semester 2. SSAF is incorporated into the annual tuition fee for international students.

Student ID cards: Students require a current University of Tasmania ID card to verify their identity for enrolment and examination purposes and to utilise library and printing services. The University will provide a complementary student ID card to each student at the commencement of their study. Students can obtain a student ID card from the UConnect team. Students studying by distance can arrange for their ID card to be posted to their term-time address via MyID.

Study load: A study load refers to how much study, usually measured by credit points, is done within a particular time period. For example, 100 credit points (eight standard units) of study taken in one year is a full-time study load, but 50 credit points (four standard units) of study taken in one year is a part-time study load.

StudyLink: StudyLink is the University of Tasmania's online student application system for international students for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. For domestic student applications, refer to 'eApplication'.

Timetable: A timetable will list any components of study for each unit you are enrolled in. E.g., lectures, practicals, tutorials, etc. A timetable is your plan that shows the time and location of your classes and/or internal examinations.

UConnect: UConnect provides assistance to current students by answering questions, giving advice, and referring students to other support services.

Undergraduate (study): Study undertaken to gain an associate degree or bachelor's degree.

Unit: Another word for 'subject'. set of activities (lectures, seminars, tutorials, and/or practicals) on a particular topic, which will have one or more intended learning outcomes and associated assessments designed to achieve those learning outcomes. Each unit has a specific code (e.g. HEN101 English 1A) and a credit point allocation (e.g. 12.5 credit points).

Unit Weighting: Refer to 'Credit points'.

Webmail: The University of Tasmania student email system provided to all students upon acceptance of an offer to study at the University.