If you’ve already completed some study from either another institution or another course at this University, it may be eligible to count towards the requirements for the degree you are applying for at the University of Tasmania. This is called Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Advanced Standing.
The Advanced Standing granted may be an exemption (i.e. the Advanced Standing is granted for a particular unit), or general, for example, for elective units at a particular level. In order to gain credit you’ll need to apply and provide information about your prior learning.
You must have received and accepted an offer to study before you can apply for credit. If you have not made an application to study, you can do this here.
Applications for credit received after 2 weeks prior to your commencing study period start date may not be accepted.
How to apply for a credit assessment
- Domestic Students (both undergraduate or postgraduate coursework):
- Complete the electronic Credit Application. This link will take you to our StudyLink application portal where you will need to register, and then follow the prompts to submit your application along with any required documentation.
- Formal Pathway Programs (Australian Partners) (PDF 117.2 KB)
- International Students:
- If you're applying for credit, please indicate this with your application in StudyLink, along with any required documentation
- If you've already accepted your offer but not yet commenced your study, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to be assessed for credit, along with any required documentation
- If you’ve already accepted your offer and have commenced your study, please complete the electronic Credit Application form.
- Formal Pathway Programs (International Partners) (PDF 120.4 KB)
What to provide for a credit assessment
- Nominate your intended major in the Undergraduate degree you are applying for or specialisation in a Postgraduate degree.
- Copy of an academic transcript.
- Complete Unit Outlines relating to the year of your study (e.g. if your study was undertaken in 2018, Unit Outlines must come from 2018), that includes:
- Full description of the unit
- Learning Outcomes
- Teaching outline of weekly topics covered
- Textbook list
- Teaching hours
- Prerequisite for entry
- If you have indicated that you have completed your previous course but this is not confirmed on your academic transcript you must provide evidence of completion by way of a copy of your testamur (i.e. certificate confirming you have completed an award course of study).
- If your previous qualifications are in a different name to that listed on this application you must provide original or certified evidence of your name change.
Please include electronic copies/scans of the above documents. There may be delays in assessing credit applications if all required documents are not provided.
Log in to your application through the Application Portal to check the status of your application.