Skip to content

Conduct and Complaints

The University of Tasmania supports the right of every member of our community to feel safe and respected in their learning and work environment. However, we understand that sometimes problems can occur.

When issues arise, the University is committed to providing an environment in which genuine concerns or complaints are treated seriously, impartially, and resolved as quickly as possible.

If something has happened which you feel is inappropriate behaviour, we encourage you to report it.

Taking action can help you to:

  • resolve the issue quickly and amicably
  • prevent others experiencing a similar issue
  • contribute to a positive change in systems or processes

Any member of the University community may lodge a report or complaint without fear of disadvantage. Matters are dealt with in confidence and with sensitivity.

The University's Behaviour Policy (PDF 220.3 KB) sets out the values, standards and expectations for behaviour that apply to our University community. People are the heart of our community. We want you to be safe, feel valued, and to actively contribute to our mission. Our University subscribes to the fundamental values of respect and self-respect, fairness and justice, integrity, trust and trustworthiness, responsibility and honesty (UTAS Statement of Values).

When members of our community behave in a manner that is not aligned to our values and expectations, our focus will be on early intervention and restoration, providing an opportunity to understand the implications of inappropriate behaviour, and to rebuild responsibility and accountability.

In circumstances where the inappropriate behaviour is of a serious nature and risks to health and safety are apparent, we will act swiftly and decisively to ensure safety for our community and to maintain our values-based culture.

If you have experienced or observed concerning or unacceptable behaviour, or you wish to make a complaint, we encourage you to contact the Safe and Fair Community Unit:

Ph: +61 3 6226 2560

The Safe and Fair Community Unit is here to assist you in facilitating a resolution and can provide information and advice regarding options and support.

Your experience at the University should be a positive one, however we recognise that on occasion you may have a particular concern about an academic or administrative matter, or the quality or delivery of a service provided by the University.

The University is committed to providing an environment with a complaints friendly culture in which concerns and complaints regarding the University are welcome and responded to in a timely and effective manner. We are also committed to ensuring any University community member may lodge a complaint without fear of disadvantage.

The University recognises the significant benefits of early resolution of matters at a local level and for issues to be resolved by mutual agreement. The University also recognises that in some instances, an investigation may be warranted in accordance with  Ordinance 8 - Student Complaints

Where you have a concern regarding an academic matter, you must first raise those concerns in accordance with Rule 6 – Admission, Assessment and Student Progress Rule prior to lodging a formal complaint in accordance with Ordinance 8.

Step 1. Attempt to resolve the matter directly with the person(s) involved

  • Approach the person concerned and attempt to resolve the matter.
  • In some instances you may wish to liaise with a  Student Advocate in the Tasmania University Union for assistance.

Step 2. Seek further advice and guidance in relation to the resolution of your matter

  • If you cannot resolve a complaint directly, or would like assistance, arrange an appointment to see a  Student Advocate or speak to the Safe and Fair Community Unit to seek advice.
  • When attending this meeting, outline your matter and the steps that you have taken to resolve it so far. It is a good idea to gather your facts and documents and put them in chronological date order.

Step 3. Consider further self or assisted resolution

  • In some instances, it may be appropriate to discuss your matter with a different staff member to enable informal resolution such as a Course Coordinator or Head of School.
  • A Student Advocate may participate in this meeting with you.

Step 4. If your matter is not resolved

  • Where informal resolution has not resolved the matter, you may wish to consider lodging a formal complaint under Ordinance 8.

Step 1. Lodge a formal complaint under Ordinance 8

  • You may wish to pursue a complaint formally under the provisions of Ordinance 8 - Student Complaints (the Ordinance). The complaint must be in writing addressed “To the Appropriate Person” and requesting “my matter be dealt with in accordance with the Ordinance”. You can lodge your complaint and any relevant attachments via the Safe and Fair Community Unit.
  • You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your complaint, and a member of the Safe and Fair Community Unit will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.

N.B. Although the Ordinance states that a complaint will be dealt with within 10 days, where the complaint is complex, timeframes may be extended to allow for appropriate investigation and consideration of the matter. The appropriate person will discuss the likely timeframe with you.

Step 2. Appropriate person assigned

  • Once the appropriate person has been confirmed, they will contact you to discuss next steps in the process and requesting a meeting to discuss your complaint.
  • When meeting with the appropriate person you may take a support person with you. This can be anyone who is not a lawyer. You may wish to ask the Student Advocate to attend as your support person.

Step 3. Resolution of complaint

  • At any stage in the process, a complaint may be resolved by agreement between the parties involved by written notice, signed by the parties, and sent to the Safe and Fair Community Unit.

Step 4. Investigation of complaint

  • The appropriate person will investigate the matter which may include gathering information from person(s) relevant to the complaint.
  • They will also review relevant university policies and procedures.

Step 5. Opportunity to comment and provide further information

  • Once the appropriate person has gathered all relevant information, they will provide you with an opportunity to consider this information and make further comments.

Step 6. Determination of your complaint

  • After the above steps, the appropriate person will make a decision regarding your complaint. You will receive a letter from the appropriate person setting out their decision, reasons for their decision, and the evidence they considered.

Where you feel your complaint has not been resolved, you may wish to seek a review of the decision.  Prior to lodging your request for review, you may wish to seek assistance from the Student Advocate.

The University has a range of support options available to assist you.

Seek support from our free University Counselling Service for help to manage current problems impacting on your capacity to cope, including gaining a better understanding of your problem, strengthening your resources and finding effective solutions.

If you need to speak with a counsellor outside of office hours, you can call the University Crisis Line on 1300 511 709 or text on +61 488 884 168. This service is available between 5pm and 9am weekdays (24hrs, weekends and public holidays).

Seek support for your personal safety and security by contacting Security to report an immediate problem or to request a Security escort. For Emergencies call 000 to request Police, Fire or Ambulance services. If you call 000, please contact Security as soon as possible so that they can arrange to meet and direct emergency services to the location. If you are on campus, you can contact your local campus Safety and Security team on +61 6226 7600 or extension 7600 from an internal phone.

Our Student Advisers can assist you with time management, academic adjustment, study issues, navigating systems or processes, stress, financial problems, housing problems, and relocation issues.

All University students are automatically entitled to access the services of the Tasmania University Union (TUU) and the Union’s Student Representative Council (SRC). The TUU provides you with a wide range of support and assistance including independent advocacy, study issues, as well as financial counselling and assistance.

MySAFETY is an online cloud-based system for reporting hazards and workplace incidents you may see or experience as a student at the University of Tasmania. The identification of hazards and reporting of workplace safety incidents is critical in achieving a safe University as it prompts action to prevent future accidents, injuries or trauma.

To report hazards and workplace safety incidents (e.g. incidents resulting in injury, illness, or "near misses"; potential for injury or illness; damage to or failure of structure, motor vehicles or other plant and equipment; anything with the potential to cause injury or illness to people, or damage to plant or equipment:

Report hazards & workplace safety incidents

How do I report inappropriate behaviour?

To report any inappropriate behaviour including bullying, harassment, intimidation, disrespect, threatening behaviour or academic misconduct such as cheating:

Report an Issue
Report Misconduct or Lodge a Complaint