School - Higher Education Learning Hubs (Uni Hubs)
Since 2017, we have worked in partnership with the Department of Education (now the Department for Education, Children and Young People) to deliver and grow our School-Higher Education Learning Hubs (Uni Hubs) at both Newstead College and Claremont College.
In 2023, Uni Hubs were also embedded at Don College, Hellyer College, and St Helens District High School for 12 months through funding by the Emerging Priorities Program. Listen to ABC News coverage of the launch here.
Our Uni Hubs contribute to the Department for Education, Children and Young People Learners First strategic goals of access, participation and engagement and wellbeing. For the University, they offer an important initiative in expanding access to educational opportunity and which deepen the University’s collaboration with its schools, including working together on targeted place-based initiatives to increase Year 12 completion and further educational attainment.
Our Uni Hub vision
The Uni Hubs aims to work in partnership with schools to benefit its students by:
- Informing the aspirations of all students through building and enhancing levels of knowledge and awareness of university pathways and study and courses, particularly those offered by the University of Tasmania.
- Developing and providing place-based programs and links from and to the University which align with the senior secondary curriculum and/or highlight different pathways, careers and opportunities within and from higher education.
- Growing confidence levels amongst learners to pursue and transition to higher education, through designated support and engagement.
- Building a strong sense of what works for the College and its students with regards to higher education outreach and aspiration raising.
- Growing the numbers of students who transition to and succeed in higher education.
The activity within each Uni Hub is tailored to the needs and priorities of each partner College.
We create, collaborate and co-design activities and engagement programs which will most benefit the students of each College and have a strong sense of what works and doesn’t work for the partner College. An example of Newstead activity is shown below.
Claremont College Uni Hub: Jo.Ingram@utas.edu.au
Newstead College Uni Hub: Gemma.Burns@utas.edu.au