Welcome to the Riawunna Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Higher Education Centre
In the spirit of Reconciliation, the University of Tasmania respectfully acknowledges the Trouwerner nations. The University also recognises the Aboriginal history and culture of the land and acknowledges and pays respect to the Traditional Owners and to Elders past, present and emerging of the land on which the campuses stand.
The Riawunna Centre provides a welcoming space for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to meet, study and access academic and pastoral support and assistance.
The Centre is located on the Ground Floor of the Hytten Hall Building on the Hobart campus and in the Riawunna Building on the Launceston campus. A support office is situated on the Cradle Coast Campus.
Staff on all campuses are highly committed to improving education outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, staff and communities.
The Centre is also committed to the advancement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and societies.
Staff offer a wide range of skills and experience to non-Aboriginal people wanting to understand Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and histories.
The Riawunna Centre offers:
- Cultural support;
- academic support and advice;
- pastoral care - personal support;
- access to the Murina Pathways Program, an alternate entry program;
- tutorial assistance through the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS);
- advice and assistance in applying for bursaries, scholarships and cadetships ;
- access to UTAS services, such as counselling services, health centre and academic skills and learning;
- a resource library and computer room;
- tutorial rooms and study spaces;
- a student common room for relaxation and study;
- a contact point for students, staff and community members;
- career choices support and employment options assistance.
As well, The Riawunna Centre:
- Organises an annual Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Symposium;
- Coordinates the delivery of Cultural Awareness workshops and Cultural Competency Programs for staff and students;
- Provide the University with information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, their Cultures and Knowledge Systems.
The Riawunna Centre also supports the University of Tasmania to:
- Implement the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategic Education Plan (ATSISP) to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to enrol, participate and achieve;
- Implement the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy (ATSIES) to employ and support more Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff across the University;
- Implement a whole of University approach to Reconciliation;
- Develop support programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in faculties and divisions;
- Organise Cultural activities across all campuses.