Take advantage of a professional or personal development opportunity that provides university study covered by a HECS scholarship.
The University of Tasmania is committed to providing ongoing support and learning opportunities for eligible teaching, administrative and general staff working in the education sector.
How do I qualify for a scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to all teaching and non-teaching staff within the Tasmanian education sector who:
- are employed by the Department of Education (DOE), Tasmanian Catholic Education Office (TCEO) and other Catholic schools in Tasmania, TasTAFE or one of many Independent schools throughout the state; and
- are employed on a continuing basis (full-time and part-time) or who are on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or more; and
- will continue to be employed within the sector while undertaking the HECS scholarship units;
- are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people - see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines); and
- are not currently receiving any other University of Tasmania HECS scholarships.
What can I enrol in?
You may choose something that relates closely to your regular employment, or you may wish to undertake something that provides you with learning opportunities in a subject area of personal interest. There are over 100 undergraduate courses and many HECS based postgraduate coursework programs to choose from within each of the University's study areas.
Eligible staff will be entitled to a HECS scholarship for study of up to 25% of a full-time University load per annum. This may be made up of two 12.5% units or one 25% unit each year.
Which courses attract full HECS scholarships?
Eligible employees within the Tasmanian Education sector, have access to a full HECS scholarship (maximum 100% load) for 2017 in the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Education (Applied Learning)
- Bachelor of Education (Professional Honours)
- Bachelor of Adult and Applied Learning
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (TESOL)
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (Applied Learning)
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (Inclusive Education)
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (Leadership)
- Bachelor of Education with Professional Honours (Higher Education)
How do I enrol?
There are a number of steps to take in order to get started on your study at the University of Tasmania, and applying for the HECS scholarship, as follows:
- Decide which course you are interested in - if you are unsure, contact the University Info Centre on 1300 363 864 or Course.Info@utas.edu.au for information and course advice.
- Submit your application
- Once you have received your offer of a place, follow the instructions provided to accept the offer and arrange to attend a Ready for Uni workshop. Here you will receive necessary information and have the opportunity to complete your enrolment for the units you will be studying.
- When completing your enrolment in eStudent you must also complete the Education Sector HECS scholarship application (accessed via the 'Finance & Scholarships' option listed on the top menu). You will be required to enter your name, email address and phone number, as well as your employer name and your staff ID number (to ensure eligibility, the university will verify your name and staff ID with your employer).
- The closing date for application to this scholarship is the census date that is applicable to your enrolment.
- Once you have applied for this scholarship, you are strongly advised to check that the scholarship deduction appears on your invoice on eStudent prior to the census dates, and your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) post census date to ensure the waiver has been applied.
Requests to retrospectively apply this scholarship after the census date will not be accepted.
If you have been away from study for a number of years should plan to attend UniStart, an introduction to study at the University of Tasmania. This four-day course takes place just prior to the start of each semester, and is also available online.
Need more information?
Please contact the University Info Centre on 1300 363 864 to discuss your options or to make an appointment with a Student Adviser. Alternatively, email Course.Info@utas.edu.au