This unit covers contemporary or advanced topics, or recent advances in different fields of ocean engineering. It provides students with a broad knowledge of the state-of-the- arts in ocean engineering.
Topics may vary between unit offerings and range from
• Subsea systems for oil and gas production, including subsea structures, subsea pipelines and marine risers, subsea control system.
• Methods for underwater survey, including principles of underwater acoustics, side scan sonar, multi-beam sonar.
• Remotely operated vehicles (ROV) and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) and their applications in subsea survey and construction.
• Offshore renewable energy systems.
|Unit name||Special Topics in Ocean Engineering|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
Australian Maritime College
|Discipline||National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics|
|Coordinator||Professor Shuhong Chai|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Discuss the different underwater or ocean surface systems and their applications.
- Explain the technical, environmental, safety, health, and commercial issues. related to the design, installation and operation of underwater or ocean surface systems.
- Analyse some simple solution methodologies related to design, installation and operation of underwater or ocean surface systems.
- Evaluate a conceptual solution to complex problems in design, installation and operation of underwater or ocean surface systems.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
If you have any questions in relation to the fees, please contact UConnect or more information is available on StudyAssist.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesJEE332 AND JEE221
2 x 2-hr lecture weekly (13 weeks)
|Assessment||Test or quiz (10%)|Test or quiz (30%)|Report (60%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.