Skip to content

Health Cover

Woman exercising
To obtain a student visa, you must provide evidence that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia. OSHC helps you cover your medical expenses.

Your health is important to us

Organising health cover

When you receive your offer to study at the University of Tasmania, you will be given the option of us arranging Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for you through Medibank Private. Alternatively, you can choose one of the other five Australian health insurance companies to provide you with OSHC.

Overseas insurance companies are unable to cover the Australian Medicare system. You may be exempt from OSHC if you are from Norway, Sweden or Belgium.

Overseas Student Health Cover for additional family members

If you select Overseas Student Health Cover  for additional family members and a confirmation of the OSHC is required for visa application purposes, you will need to provide all family member(s) personal details to UTAS to ensure the confirmation certificate will contain the correct information.

If this is necessary, please contact and provide your additional family members' full name, date of birth and gender. If your family members are not arriving at the same time with you, it is recommended that their OSHC is arranged separately.

If any additional information is required, you will be contacted.