Skip to content

Cost of living

The University of Tasmania is an affordable option for international students, providing a great standard of living and lower accommodation costs than other Australian capital city universities.

Rough guide to living costs

The following is a rough guide to living costs for international students living in Tasmania (in Australian dollars). Of course, these will vary depending on your preferred standard of living and where you choose to live.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses: $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental: $100 to $215 per week
  • Single Rental: $150 to $300 per week
  • On-Campus: $165 to $420 per week
  • University Homestay: $285 per week

Living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out: $80 to $200 per week
  • Utilities: $12 to $20 per week
  • Phone and Internet: $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport: $15 to $30 per week
  • Car (after purchase): $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment, sport, personal care: $60 to $150 per week
  • Study expenses (books, photocopying, stationery, etc.): $800 per year

Source: University of Tasmania Accommodation Services 2019;, Tasmanian service providers, August 2018.

The Australian Government provides information on living costs in Australia for students and we strongly recommend you consult their website for further and most up to details Australia-wide details.

Financial requirements for your visa

In order to receive a student visa, you must show you have the financial means to study in Australia, including your travel expenses, tuition fees and living costs. If family are travelling with you, you will also need to provide evidence of additional funds to cover their costs as well.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.

Students with families

The school-aged children of many international students enrolled at the University of Tasmania are required to pay tuition fees to attend a Tasmanian Government School.

Some exemptions apply, including for the children of Australia Awards scholarship holders.

The Tasmania Department of Education can provide full details.