Scholarships and Discounts for UTAS International Students
Tasmanian International Scholarships (TIS)
Tasmanian International Scholarship (TIS) provides commencing international students with a 25% reduction in registered tuition fees for the duration of their course (provided satisfactory grades are maintained).
TIS is available for most undergraduate and postgraduate coursework degrees offered by the University of Tasmania (UTAS). Please click on the following web links for courses that offer the TIS.
- Australian Maritime College Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Access, Participation and Partnerships Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Faculty of Arts Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Tasmanian School of Business & Economics International Scholarship
- Faculty of Education Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Faculty of Health Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Faculty of Law Tasmanian International Scholarship
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology Tasmanian International Scholarship
All international students who submit an application to study at UTAS will be automatically assessed for the TIS Scholarship by our Admissions Team. If you are successful, this will be outlined in your UTAS Offer.
*Generally applicants will require the equivalent of an overall B+ average (with the exception of some courses), to be eligible for TIS. Please note: As qualifications and grading scales can vary significantly from country to country, your eligibility will be assessed by an Admissions Officer.
10% Tuition Fee Discounts
University Partner Scholarships
- PRIMAGAMA Scholarships - Applications for 2016 Now Closed
UTAS Scholarships and Prizes
International students who have completed at least one semester of study at UTAS are able to apply for these scholarships. Likewise, commencing international students who have completed Years 11 and 12 in Australia and who have a tertiary entrance score can also apply for any of the scholarships listed here.
AMC International Scholarships
The University's specialist institute, the Australian Maritime College (AMC), offers the following scholarships to international students.
Foundation Studies Program Scholarships
The University's award winning English Language Centre, offer the following Foundation Studies Program scholarships to international students:
Australian Government Scholarships
The University of Tasmania, together with its specialist national institute, the Australian Maritime College, has a long history in playing host to Australia Award students that spans 20 years.
Australia Awards Scholarships (AAS)
The following benefits generally apply:
- Full tuition fees
- Return air travel—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- Establishment allowance—a once only payment of A$5,000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department. From 1 January 2013, CLE payable to Scholars studying under an ADS is A$30,000 per year.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)—a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)—provided to cover the student's basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees—if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a Scholar's academic success or enhance their academic experience
- Fieldwork (for research students only)—may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
Australia Awards Scholarship recipients can refer to the 2016 Policy Handbook here: Australia Awards Policy
For more information on the eligible countries, types of awards available and how to apply, visit Australia Awards.
John Allwright Fellowship (JAF) - Australian Council for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR)
ACIAR's John Allwright Fellowships are part of the Australia Awards program. Australia Awards are prestigious international scholarships and fellowships funded by the Australian Government offer the next generation of global leaders an opportunity to undertake study, research and professional development.
Further information is available on the John Allwright Fellowship, including eligibility criteria, application forms and profiles of previous recipients.
Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships are internationally competitive, merit-based scholarships provided by the Australian Government that support citizens of countries in the Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas to undertake study, research and professional development programmes in Australia and for Australians to undertake these activities overseas.
The Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships offer support to internationals to undertake study, research or professional development in Australia. To apply, you must be from a participating country and/or region.
All recipients will receive:
- travel allowance: $3,000 (provision to pay up to $4,500 under special circumstances)
- establishment allowance: $2,000 (fellowships) or $4,000 (scholarships)
- monthly stipend: $3,000 (paid up to the maximum category duration on a pro-rata basis)
- health insurance for the full category duration (OSHC for international recipients)
- travel insurance (excluding during programme for international recipients)
Endeavour scholarship recipients will also receive tuition fees paid up to the maximum study/research duration on a pro-rata basis. Tuition includes student service and amenities fees.
Application opening and closing dates will vary depending on the scholarship and your intended degree start date. For more information about the Endeavour Awards, including eligibility, selection criteria and the application process, please visit the Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships website.