The Human Research Ethics Committee of Tasmania (HREC Tas) operates a state-wide service and reviews all research with or about humans, their data or tissue conducted by Tasmanian institutions, including research conducted at interstate University of Tasmania campuses.
All committees of the HREC Tas operate in accordance with the requirements of the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (NHMRC 2007, updated 2018).
The review of applications submitted by researchers affiliated with institution's external to the University of Tasmania are conducted on a fee-for-service basis.
The HREC Tas consists of two NHMRC registered human research ethics committees:
- Tasmania Health and Medical Human Research Ethics Committee (EC00337)
- Tasmania Social Sciences Human Research Ethics Committee (EC00336
The HREC Tas seeks to support researchers to understand and comply with the principles of the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research through the conduct of ethically responsible research which is acceptable to the Australian community.
Adherence to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research is a pre-requisite for institutions in receipt of Australian Government funds for research and is enacted by the University of Tasmania’s Responsible Conduct of Research Policy.
Expedited Review Process for Public Health Emergencies
An expedited review process exists for research projects that meets the following criteria:
- Scope: Research within the field of public health emergencies, defined as an event, either natural or man-made, that creates a health risk to the public
- Criteria: Research must be in the public interest and required to be conducted within a set passage of time, therefore the timely collection of data is of utmost importance
If you require expedited research ethics approval, and you meet the criteria listed above:
- Submit your application/amendment via Ethics Review Manager (ERM)
- Contact the Research Integrity and Ethics Unit to request an expedited review. Please ensure you include your ethics reference number.