Skip to content
Job ready Certificates

Job-ready Certificates

Part of the 2020 Higher Education Relief Package

To help those affected by COVID-19, the Federal Government is funding a new series of certificates.

These will set you up for a successful career, to undertake further studies, or both. Our certificates are delivered completely online and cover useful topics such as Health, Education, Counselling and Sustainable living.

As part of the Higher Education Relief Package, the government has significantly discounted student fees for studies undertaken for six months from May 2020. Students may be eligible to defer their student fees under the HECS-HELP loan scheme.

Available to both international and domestic students!

Study areas

Further information

Register for a webinar

Please join us for a 15 minute information session outlining all you need to know about studying a job-ready certificate at the University of Tasmania.

This session will be followed by a 15 minute Q&A.

By submitting this form you consent to the University collecting, using, storing and disclosing your personal information as outlined in our Privacy Statements and in accordance with the University’s Privacy Policy.

Frequently asked questions

Considering applying

Our job-ready certificates are now open to domestic and international students who meet the course entry requirements.

The domestic and international fees are listed on the individual course information pages above. All units completed as part of certificate in Semester 2, 2020 will attract significantly discounted fees for domestic students as part of the Government Higher Education Relief Package. Students may be eligible to defer their student fees under the HECS-HELP loan scheme. Units undertaken in 2021 will be charged at standard fee rates.

One semester or six months full time, from 13 July 2020 to December 2020.

Yes. But please note the discounted student fees are only available for the units that you complete in 2020. Any units completed in 2021 will be charged at the normal fee rate.

Yes. All of the certificates are offered completely online and there is no face-to-face component.

If you pass all four units, you will be awarded an undergraduate certificate in your chosen subject area. You can also use these units to credit towards a relevant Associate, Diploma or Bachelor degree. Please see the above information about the Certificates to learn about the qualification that each certificate could lead to.

Yes, you can defer your studies to 2021 but you must complete your studies by the end of 2021. Discounted student fees only apply for your studies in 2020, so in 2021 this will mean paying standard fees.

You can study up to four units or as few as one unit in semester 2, 2020 and continue your studies in 2021. However, only the units that you take in 2020 will attract discounted student fees. Student fees will return to standard rates in 2021.

Don’t worry too much about academic requirements. If you haven’t completed the necessary prior studies, we will take into account your relevant work and life experience. You can provide this to us through a personal competency statement.

However, we can offer you an alternative. Take a look at our Undergraduate Certificate of University Preparation, which can start you on the road to success. This offers opportunities to apply into our certificates, diplomas and even some bachelors later down the track.

No the Student Services and Amenities Fee has been waived for all of the certificates for 2020.

Discounted fees for domestic students are only available for studies undertaken in 2020.

You will need to have access to a computer to complete one of these certificates. If you don't own your own computer, perhaps someone in your household does.

You will also require a reliable internet connection. You should expect to download about 1-2 GB of data each month while studying.

Yes the certificates are now all available to international students.

All job-ready certificates are taught fully-online so you do not need a CoE.

You do not need a student visa to study these certificates as they are fully online and you do not need to be residing in Australia to complete them. If you already have an Australian visa, please check your visa conditions to ensure that you are permitted to study this certificate with the University of Tasmania before applying.

Applying and Enrolling

To apply to one of the job-ready certificates, submit an online application free by selecting the relevant link below:

If you have already submitted an application to us for 2020, please log back in and change your preferences to your chosen certificate to have your application reassessed.

Approximately 20 minutes if you work through it quickly in one go. If you’re able to complete the process in one sitting, you can save as you progress and come back to it later.

After you have applied for the certificate, we will assess your application. If you meet the entry requirements and your certificate has only 4 units we will automatically enrol you into all four units when you receive your offer.  If your certificate has a choice of units you will be able to choose these after you receive your offer through eStudent.

If you are having any difficulties applying, please contact our Future Students team on 1300 363 864 who can assist with this process. You can also email

You will study four units, each worth 12.5 credit points, to a total of 50 credit points for the semester.

You will be assessed in a variety of different ways, depending on the certificate and units you study. This includes online quizzes, reflective writing tasks, project proposals and reports. You can see the specific assessments for your certificate by clicking on the links to the individual units in the certificate information.

Yes. If you would like to be considered for Recognition of Prior Learning, please indicate this at the point of application. On acceptance of your offer, this will prompt a college-based Course Information Officer to reach out to you and progress your application.

The eCAF (electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form) is a government form that is available online through eStudent. Even though there is a fee waiver to undertake these courses, completing the form is a mandatory requirement. Instructions for how to complete the eCAF are available in this guide: eCAF Instruction Guide (PDF 524KB).

If you would like to withdraw from the course, follow the instructions on how to withdraw through EStudent. Please note that the deadline to withdraw is the Census Date, which is 10 August for Semester 2, 2020.

For information on scholarships, please see our website: