Need access to material we don't hold in the Library collection? We'll help you obtain it through our network of libraries and other suppliers.
Who can use the service
If the University Library does not have the items you need, eligible users can request them through the Document Delivery Service.
- University of Tasmania staff, postgraduate and higher degree students
- Honorary Research Associates and visiting academics
- Clinical Academics for the College of Health and Medicine can use the Document Delivery Service for items required to support their teaching and research
- Final year Research project students
For further information contact the Document Delivery Service.
Placing a request
Before placing a request for a document delivery / interlibrary loan item:
- Search Library's Catalogue to confirm we do not have an item holdings for the title you require
- If the item you require is a journal article, check to see if the library has an electronic full text version available. The list of individual electronic journals available to Library users located on the eJournals page.
Place your requests via our online web requesting interface. This system allows eligible students and staff to submit and track requests.
It is important that you give a full and accurate citation for the material you want. Provide the full title, author’s name, volume/issue and publication date. Requests not meeting these minimum requirements may be rejected and returned to requestor for more detail.
- Sign into your Document Delivery Account
- Search and Request – enter search terms, click SEARCH
- Click Get it! on your required title. Request form is automatically populated with the item information
- For copies, enter details for article or chapter in fields under Part Details
- Indicate if your request is RUSH, by following the instructions on the request form
- Click REQUEST and accept Copyright prompt (for article and chapters)
- Use 'Create request' link for a blank request form if you cannot locate the item you want via searching
For more help please see our Step by Step user guide (PDF 1114 KB)
How long does it take & how much does it cost?
|Service Level||Time frame|
|STANDARD||Copies: 2-5 working days|
Loans: 10 – 21 working days within Australia and New Zealand.
|RUSH||24 business hours to ship item or advise non-fulfilment.|
Loans can take up to 2-3 working days to arrive (within Australian only)
We will obtain most things at no cost for you, however, you may be asked to contribute if the costs exceed our preset budget limit - if this occurs we will contact you.
Collection and delivery
Copies are delivered electronically to your Document Delivery Account, under ‘My Requests’.
You will receive an email notifying you when the document is available. It is important to save/download your PDF files within 30 days, under Copyright law we are required to permanently remove documents from our server after this period. Occasionally documents are sent to you as email attachments.
If there is no PDF link on your request, or attachment via email please contact us.
Loans are held for collection at the library service point you specified as your ‘pick up’ location. Loans for Flexible Library Service clients are posted to their designated address. A supplying library may stipulate a loan to be for use in the library only. In order to maintain good relations with the interlending community, we must observe these restrictions.
Talk to the Document Delivery staff if you need to make special arrangements for collection or delivery of items.
Loaned materials are subject to replacement costs for loss or damage, charges will vary between supplying libraries. Under the InterLibrary code replacement copies are not accepted.
Return and renewal
Return your loan items to the most convenient UTAS library service point on or before the due date. We request where possible that loans are placed into the "Reserve Returns bookdrop".
Please do not return loan items via the University mail system.
Flexible Library Services clients will receive an eParcel Return Postage Paid label to use if posting back your items. If you misplace your label contact us.
For Renewals, place the renewal via your Document Delivery account under 'My Requests' before the due date. Extensions are at the discretion of the supplying library, and so are not automatically granted.
Obtaining a thesis from other universities
Theses belonging to another institution are rarely available for loan. We will try to source the theses for you where possible.
Place a request via your Document Delivery Account. Use the 'Create Request' link then select 'Thesis' as format and complete the blank request form.
In most cases an electronic theses copy is obtained, however occasionally a hardcopy loan is the only option available. If the owning library needs to digitise the thesis for fulfilment there may be an additional cost which will be negotiated with you.
Information for other libraries requesting items from UTAS
The Library will lend items from its collections to other libraries under the terms of the Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code. Individuals should contact their local library and ask staff to place an Interlibrary loan request.
You may send us requests via Libraries Australia Document Delivery gateway (LADD), email or OCLC Worldshare ILL.
Document Delivery Service
University of Tasmania Library
Private bag 25
HOBART TAS 7001
ABN 30 764 374 782
- Items borrowed from the University of Tasmania Library collections are available for six (6) weeks with possible renewals.
- Some collections are not available for loan.
University of Tasmania library charges libraries the standard ILRS code charge within Australia and New Zealand.
- Australian libraries may pay via LADD Payments Scheme, or credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
- Overseas libraries may pay with IFM (Worldshare ILL), IFLA vouchers, or credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
All prices are quoted in Australian dollars. All prices include GST, where appropriate.
Requests received from New Zealand Libraries via Te Puna gateway will be charged Australian cost from table below less GST. Requests received via OCLC Worldshare, please check our policies directory for charges.
|Service Type||Australian Libraries||Overseas Libraries (other than New Zealand)|
Rush: $55.30 (Express Post)
Core: $50.00 (International courier)
Rush: $39.30 (email)
Core: $30.00 (email)
*pricing for already digitised thesis
|$22.00* - $110.00|
$20.00* - $100.00
Purchase form (PDF 491.4KB) if you are an individual or a library requesting on behalf of an individual.
Purchase form (PDF 954KB) if you are library requesting a copy to be included in your collection.