West Park Expansion
A new campus at West Park
The University has opened a new, $52 million campus in Burnie that will provide distinctive, world-class learning experiences for the people of the North-West. The development has been funded through contributions from the Federal Government, Tasmanian Government, Burnie City Council and the University.
Based on extensive consultation with the community, the new Cradle Coast campus will include:
- World-class education facilities and experiences
- Easy pedestrian access options with public transport and ample car parking available
- A focus on enabling industry and community use of the site, with sensitivity to the natural environment
The campus will bring vitality to the West Park precinct while complementing existing University activities on-site.
Reimagining a Makers' Workshop for the Future
Following the opening of our new Cradle Coast campus, the opportunity exists to bring other University functions into the West Park precinct, within the Makers’ Workshop building.
The Makers’ Workshop has been regarded as a much-loved community asset and it is important that it remains a place that highlights and reflects the region’s strengths and history of making, and engages and supports the community.
- The University proposes a new mix of making activities focused on the region’s strengths in technology, manufacturing, design, and food production
- It will involve the community and industry, supporting businesses and employment based on technology and innovation
- A reimagined Makers’ Workshop would feature the 21st century making that occurs across the region
- It will help skill the next generation of the region’s workforce, providing opportunities for businesses to grow and supporting new businesses to create future jobs
- It will enable design and creativity to be demonstrated through engaging community events
For full details, concept floorplans and to provide feedback, check out Reimagining a Makers' Workshop for the Future PDF 3.5 MB
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Rufus Black shares his vision for the West Park campus.
Key achievements & milestones
Achievements to date:
- Masterplan released following extensive community consultation
- Funding secured for the project from State and Federal Governments
- Principal consultant architect appointed for detailed design of the campus
- Development application submitted to Burnie City Council and approved
- Construction of campus building completed
Want to stay up to date? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions
To provide feedback, ask questions or join the mailing list for project progress, you're welcome to Contact Us
Email email@example.com or write to us at: Northern Transformation, Locked Bag 1321, Launceston TAS 7250.