Courses & Units

Behavioural Neuroscience KHA258

Hobart, Launceston

Note:

This is an intermediate level unit in the Behavioural Science major and minor.

Introduction

This unit provides intermediate level coverage of two core areas: behavioural neuroscience and neuropsychology. Lectures in behavioural neuroscience extend and enlarge upon introductory lectures on the biological basis of behaviour in humans. Lectures in neuropsychology will cover the major neuropsychological disorders and syndromes and encourage students to make associations between neuroscience and functional consequences of brain damage.

Laboratory classes provide hands-on demonstrations and exercises of some of the topics covered in the lectures. Students develop their understanding of behavioural neuroscience and neuropsychology, and further develop their skills in research design, data analysis and interpretation. Students will also further their skills in reporting findings from psychological research and in critically reviewing literature in the areas covered by the lectures and laboratory classes.

Attendance at laboratory classes is compulsory.

Summary

Unit name Behavioural Neuroscience
Unit code KHA258
Credit points 12.5
Faculty/School Faculty of Health and Medicine
School of Medicine
Discipline Psychology
Coordinator

Dr Mike Garry (Hobart),  Dr Cynthia Honan (Launceston)

Teaching staff

Dr Mike Garry (Coordinator)

Level Intermediate
Available as student elective? Yes
Breadth Unit? No

Availability

Location Study period Attendance options Available to
Hobart Semester 2 On-Campus International Domestic
Launceston Semester 2 On-Campus International Domestic

Key

On-campus
Off-Campus
International students
Domestic students
Note

Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.

Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.

TNE Program units special approval requirements.

Key Dates

Study Period Start date Census date WW date End date
Semester 2 16/7/2018 10/8/2018 3/9/2018 21/10/2018

* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).

Unit census dates currently displaying for 2018 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2018 will be available from the 1st October 2017.

About Census Dates

Fees

Domestic

Band CSP Student Contribution Full Fee Paying (domestic) Field of Education
1 2017: $793.00 2017: $2,207.00 090701

Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.

Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.

Requisites

Prerequisites

KHA112 and KHA201 and (KHA106 or KHA113)

Mutual Exclusions

You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:

KHA358

Teaching

Teaching Pattern

One 2-hr lecture and one 2-hr practical class weekly (13 weeks)

Assessment

2-hour Examination (30%), Quizzes (5%), In-Class Test (30%), Research Report totalling 2000 words (35%)

TimetableView the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable

Textbooks

RequiredNone
Co-op Bookshop links

The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.