This unit is only available to those students who have undertaken the comparable Professional learning Institute unit.
This unit is aligned to theShadowing for Aspiring Principals professional learning program from the Department of Education. The nationally recognised program takes account of contemporary learning models for the development of future principals. It provides participants with an understanding of the practices that underpin the work of effective principals. Aspiring principals develop a self-understanding of their leadership style and emotional intelligence skills and enrich their capability to become a school principal.
The key components of the program for aspiring principals include:
- Completing a self-assessment tool using the Australian Professional Standard for Principals Reflection Tool
- Accessing professional learning and skill development through reading, discussions, networks, and case studies
- Observing another principal by engaging in a continuous shadowing experience for up to five days, plus follow-up reflective conversations
- Examining various leadership pathways to the principalship
- Working with a trusted colleague to learn what effective principals do
- Being exposed to other leadership styles
- Developing a school leadership action research learning project.
|Unit name||Principal Preparation Program|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||Spring school (extended)||Off-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|Spring school (extended)||28/10/2019||20/11/2019||23/12/2019||16/2/2020|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2019 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2019 will be available from the 1st October 2018.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|1||2019: $820.00||2019: $2,037.00||079999|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
Satisfactory participation in and completion of PLI Shadowing for Aspiring Principals course (RPL). AT2: Critical Reflection 100% (AC1(a): 35%, AC1(b): 35% AC2: 30%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Refer Bookshop link
Refer Bookshop link
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.