This unit will be offered off campus in Summer School. It will commence on 28 January 2019.
Human Rights are fundamental rights that are inherent in every individual on the basis of humanity. They are underpinned by concepts of human dignity and the essential equality of all people. This unit takes an interdisciplinary perspective to the development, application and cultural relativity of human rights, and how they are placed alongside our notions of global justice. The unit explores the evolution of human rights, demonstrating how their conception has changed over time, and also to whom rights are extended, who guarentees protection of the said rights, and how violators of rights have come to be punished in the international system. The material covered in this unit is global in both its geographic scope and its cultural awareness. The unit will provide you with the tools to make determinations about the nature of human rights in a globalised world.
|Unit name||Human Rights and Global Justice|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Law
|Discipline||History and Classics|Law|Politics and International Relations|
Dr Gail Lugten, Dr. Matt Killingsworth, Professor Michael Bennett, Professor Michael Tate, Ms Anja Hilkemeijer, and Mr. David Taylor.
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||5 Week Session Feb A||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|5 Week Session Feb A||28/1/2019||3/2/2019||12/2/2019||24/2/2019|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2019 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2019 will be available from the 1st October 2018.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|1||2019: $820.00||2019: $2,037.00||090399|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
Completion of at least 100 pts of university study (i.e. 8 x 12.5 units)
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
This unit will be offered off-campus as a three-week (fifteen day) intensive teaching unit to be conducted in January and February 2018 (Monday 29 January - Friday 16 February). A fourth week of non-contact hours is provided to allow students to complete their final assessment for this unit (Monday 19 February – Friday 23 February).
Historical and predictive time-line: 20%; Combined written account and oral reflection: 30%; and 2000 word e-Portfolio: 50%
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Flexible Study Options
This unit is taught on line.
Booktopia textbook links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.