Wicking Dementia Centre offers dedicated Student and Learning Skills Advisors (SALSAs) to assist students throughout their studies. We provide a holistic approach to student support. The SALSA team combines generic support roles from across the university such as Student Learning Advisors, Student Advisors and Course Information Officers. We offer a “one-stop shop” for students requiring assistance. As a current student admitted to:
- Bachelor of Dementia Care
- Diploma of Dementia Care
- Diploma of Ageing Studies and Services
- Bachelor of Ageing and Dementia Studies (continuing students only)
- Master of Dementia
You can contact Lily Bartkevicius and Tanya Wadwell at any time for advice, support or learning skills development in relation to your studies.
Student and Learning Skills Advisor
Team Leader Student Support
Our services include:
- Unit selections and progression planning
- Advanced Standing/Credit/Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) advice
- Information and advice relating to the Bachelor of Dementia Care HECS Scholarship and other university fees
- Managing your study e.g. reducing or increasing study load, withdrawing from units
Learning Skills Advice and Study Support:
- Assistance with understanding task requirements and rubrics
- Advice and support regarding academic skills such as researching, academic writing, and referencing
- Advice and support regarding plagiarism and Turnitin
- Some IT skills such as using MyLO and other University of Tasmania systems
- General assistance with writing skills relating to spelling, grammar, punctuation and structure
- Study skills e.g. time management and planning, developing good study habits
General Support and Advice with your Studies/Other:
- Orientation information and support
- First point of contact for personal issues impacting your studies
- Advice around time off/Leave of Absence
- Academic Progress Review (APR) assistance
- Information about other UTAS services and key contact points
Please note that as our courses are predominately online, consultations and advice are not available on-campus or as face-to-face consultations.
Please note that our SALSA team do not currently take appointments through AppointmentHub – our service is on-demand. You are welcome to email us with your availability to arrange a phone or skype appointment. We are also happy to answer questions and provide advice via email, or via the discussion board in our resource space Your Common Room in MyLO.
PH: +61 3 6226 6911
Please allow up to 4 business days for a response during peak workload periods and around public holidays.