Skip to content

Accommodation FAQ

Free accommodation is available for rural and regional placements through the Centre for Rural Health. There are limited places, so please book early using the Centre for Rural Health Booking Form.

Free accommodation is available in Burnie, Campbell Town, Deloraine, Dover, Flinders Island, George Town, Huonville, King Island, Latrobe, New Norfolk, Nubeena, Oatlands, Perth, Queenstown, Scottsdale, Smithton, St Helens, St Mary’s, and Swansea.

Most accommodation properties consist of individual bedrooms with shared kitchen, living room, laundry and bathroom facilities. In some circumstances you may be required to share a room.

Rooms are allocated to students within each discipline on a first-in-best-dressed basis, so please book early.

Travel to King Island and Flinders Island is by air. If you are going on placement to King and Flinders Island, you will be provided with free return airfare per placement.

Once your accommodation booking is confirmed, the Centre for Rural Health will book your airfare and your ticket will be emailed to you.

Someone may be there to meet you when the plane lands to drive you to the health facility. This is normally organised by the health centre that you are placed with.

The Rural Placement Allowance assists students with the cost of undertaking a placement in rural Tasmania. To be eligible, your placement must be outside of Hobart or Launceston.

  • If you are using the Centre for Rural Health accommodation, you will receive $30 per week of placement.
  • If you are not using the Centre for Rural Health accommodation, you will receive $60 per week of placement.
  • Students going on placement to Bruny Island receive an additional $50 per week.
  • Interstate allied health students receive a single payment of $200 per placement.

Please note that the Rural Placement Allowance is not intended for students who are already receiving financial support for their placements from bodies such as the Pharmacy Guild or SARRAH (Services for Australian Rural and Remote Allied Health).

In most cases there is interent provided via WiFi. However, access methods may vary from site to site and full details, including WIFI passwords, are provided in the Information Pack. In some areas, students are able to access the Internet at a University of Tasmania campus as well. For students staying at Perth, portable Internet devices are provided.

Internet data at the accommodation is limited, so students are asked to restrict their usage to study purposes.

We encourage all students to take their own laptop computer with them when they go on placement. While computers are provided at some properties, taking your own computer means you can use it when and where you like. Details of IT services available at each site are in the Property Fact Sheets.

Each property has a television and music player.

If there is a problem with the accommodation, with the computers, or with other people staying at the accommodation, please advise the Centre for Rural Health straight away during working hours.

Please phone 1800 244 000 and indicate where you’re staying and a contact phone number.

Mobile phone services are limited in some areas. Please contact your service provider for details of coverage before you go.

We will provide you with a key to the facility for use during your stay. All keys are to be returned to the Property Manager (or nominee) when you leave.

This is generally ok, but you should contact the Property Manager first. Their contact details are provided to you in the Property Fact Sheet before you go on placement.

Each site has cooking equipment such as pots and pans, electric jug and toaster; cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, storage containers and a microwave oven. There is also a washing machine, iron and ironing board.

While pillows are provided, you may need to provide your own bed linen (including doonas) and towels. This information is included in the Property Fact Sheet.

It is reccomended that you take a laptop computer.

For anything else relating to your study requirements, talk to your Placement Coordinator.

Cooking facilities are available at all accommodation sites, and you will need to supply your own food. It is a good idea to place your food in marked containers. If you have special dietary requirements, you may need to bring these items with you as they may not be available in more remote communities. You should also be aware that if you arrive on a Sunday, shops may not be open. Please note that ‘food' includes tea, coffee, and other staple ingredients.

You may be able to arrange meals through the local hospital/health centre kitchen if you’re doing a placement there. The Property Manager (or nominee) will be able to advise you.

Yes please. When you book your accommodation you will agree to a number of terms and conditions, including cleaning and rubbish disposal. If excessive cleaning is required after you leave you will be charged an $80 cleaning fee. Cleaning equipment and supplies are provided.

Rubbish collection days vary from town to town. Please ask the Property Manager when rubbish is collected and ensure bins are left out when necessary. If there is no rubbish collection, ask the Property Manager how to dispose of your rubbish.

Students are given priority but the accommodation may also be used by staff associated with the local health facility, and staff from the University of Tasmania's College of Health and Medicine.

This depends on whether you are in a share house, who manages the house (Centre for Rural Health or Department of Health and Human Services) and how many other students are there. Sometimes it’s not appropriate so you will need to ask permission beforehand. Please contact the Centre for Rural Health.

Pets are not allowed at the accommodation.

RUSTICA is the National Rural Health Student Network (NRHSN) rural health club for the University of Tasmania. They offer networking opportunities, scholarships, clinical skills days and more.

Banner image credit: Wai Nang Poon