Advanced Standing is the recognition of prior studies, from either another institution or another course at this University, that may count towards the requirements for the degree you are applying for at the University of Tasmania. The advanced standing granted may be an exemption (i.e. the advanced standing is granted for a particular unit), or general, for example, for elective units at a particular level.
There are two ways to apply for advanced standing:
- If you are applying to study a Domestic Undergraduate or Post Graduate Coursework course at the University of Tasmania, you may apply for Advanced Standing as part of your eApplication.
- If you have not already applied for Advanced Standing as part of an application to study at the University of Tasmania via eApplication, please print out and complete the Credit Application form.
It is important that you nominate your intended major and minor in the undergraduate degree you are applying for, as this information is required when assessing advanced standing; and include the following required documents along with your advanced standing application in order for it to be assessed as promptly as possible. There may be delays in assessing advanced standing applications if all required documents are not provided:
- Original or certified academic transcript
- Unit descriptions from the relevant institutional handbook and relating to the year of your study, e.g if your study was undertaken in 2015 descriptions must come from the 2015 handbook
- If you have indicated that you have completed your previous course but this is not confirmed on your academic transcript you must provide evidence of completion by way of an original or certified copy of your testamur (i.e. certificate confirming you have completed an award course of study)
- If your previous qualifications are in a different name to that listed on this application you must provide original or certified evidence of your name change
If you are applying via the Credit Application form, please include paper copies of the above documents, noting when a document must be original or certified (certified meaning a copy of the original document sighted and signed by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Declarations). You can submit the application with documents to U Connect online or in-person (see U Connect locations).
If you are applying via eApplication, please attach electronic copies/scans of the above documents as part of your application. If your application is successful, you may be asked to provide certified paper copies of these documents.