A new campus at Inveresk
The University is building a new $260 million campus at Inveresk in the heart of Launceston. Inveresk has easy pedestrian, bike and public transport access, high visibility and integration with community and industry.
A new pedestrian and cycle bridge will further increase accessibility. The new campus will eventually house 16,000 students, researchers and staff, and includes student hubs and innovation spaces. Part of the campus will be devoted to teaching, while another part is earmarked for state-of-art research facilities, including a new Institute of Applied Science and Design.
The new buildings will complement the School of Architecture and Design, the Tasmanian College of the Arts and the 120-bed student accommodation development already at the site.
The Australian Maritime College will remain at the Newnham Campus as the foundation a new hi-tech design, engineering and manufacturing precinct.
It will be a very visible and accessible development that puts education at the heart of our community. We see the new campus as being central to the life of the city – a place which brings together academics and students, business and industry, along with community,
Social & Economic Impact
The new Inveresk campus is projected to create significant ongoing benefits in the north of the State.
Key achievements & milestones
Achievements to date:
- Master plan and community engagement complete
- Transfer of the land agreed to in principle
- Funding commitments for the project finalised
- The appointment of the principal consultant. The successful firm will oversee the detailed design of the campus and the development application and approval process
- Site preparation works including services investigations and soil testing
- The submission of a development application, anticipated for the third quarter of 2018, with major construction expected to be underway by the end of the year, moving into 2019
- Community consultation in conjunction with the development application
We are keen to get your input into the new campus development and will be conducting extensive consultation throughout the masterplanning and design processes.
Details about consultation forums will be posted here as they are finalised.