A new campus at Inveresk
The University is building a new campus at Inveresk in the heart of Launceston. The campus will become central to the life of the city – a vibrant place where the community, business and industry, and the University can connect and collaborate.
- Easy pedestrian, bike and public transport access, high visibility and integration with community and industry
- A new pedestrian and cycle bridge will increase accessibility
- Student hubs and innovation spaces, purpose-built for effective teaching and learning
- State-of-art research facilities, including a new Institute for Applied Science and Design
- Clusters of small, townhouse style student accommodation on both sides of the river
- New carparking at the Glebe Farm
The newly designed facilities will complement the School of Architecture and Design, the School of Creative Arts and Media and the 120-bed student accommodation development already at the site. The Australian Maritime College will remain at Newnham.
From an original $260 million, the Northern Transformation in Launceston is now a project worth $344 million.
The Northern Transformation is attracting additional funding for University developments in Launceston with another $84 million identified for further infrastructure.
Student accommodation on the campus and in the city will be funded in partnership with the private sector with an estimated investment of $54 million. The Australian Government has also committed $30 million for a Maritime and Defence Innovation and Design Precinct at Newnham.
The story so far:
- Community engagement and master planning
- Project funding and land transfers
- Principal consultant architect appointed to undertake detailed design of the campus
- Inveresk Precinct Plan developed
- Course redevelopment commenced
- Submission of development applications for Stage 1 – end June 2019
- Internal space planning for Stage 1
- Detailed design for future stages
- Commence construction
- Ongoing community consultation
We are keen to get your input into the Inveresk Precinct Plan as the design process continues.
Community sessions will be held at Station Cottage Inveresk, welcoming members of the public to chat with the project team about the future for the University and the precinct:
- Saturday 29 June, 10-12pm
- Tuesday 2 July, 4-6pm
- Wednesday 3 July, 11-1pm
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions
To provide feedback, ask questions or join the mailing list for project updates, you’re welcome to Contact Us
Email email@example.com or write to us at:
Northern Transformation, Locked Bag 1321, Launceston TAS 7250.