A new campus at Inveresk
The University is building a new campus at Inveresk in the heart of Launceston. The campus will become central to the life of the city – a vibrant place where the community, business and industry, and the University can connect and collaborate.
- Easy pedestrian, bike and public transport access, high visibility and integration with community and industry
- A new pedestrian and cycle bridge will increase accessibility
- Student hubs and innovation spaces, purpose-built for effective teaching and learning
- State-of-art research facilities, including a new Institute for Applied Science and Design
- Clusters of low rise residential style student accommodation on both sides of the river
The newly designed facilities will complement the School of Architecture and Design, the School of Creative Arts and Media and the 120-bed student accommodation development already at the site. The Australian Maritime College will remain at Newnham.
From an original $260 million, the Northern Transformation in Launceston is now a project worth $344 million.
The Northern Transformation is attracting additional funding for University developments in Launceston with another $84 million identified for further infrastructure.
Student accommodation on the campus and in the city will be funded in partnership with the private sector with an estimated investment of $54 million. The Australian Government has also committed $30 million for a Maritime and Defence Innovation and Design Precinct at Newnham.
The story so far:
- Community engagement and master planning
- Project funding and land transfers
- Principal consultant architect appointed
- Inveresk Precinct Plan developed
- Course redevelopment commenced
- Development applications submitted for Library and Student Experience building and bridge (June 2019) and approved (Oct/Nov 2019)
- Construction commenced on Library and bridge (Jan/Feb 2020)
- Precinct parking plan approved (March 2020)
- Development applications submitted for River's Edge and Willis Street buildings (June 2020) and approved (Nov 2020)
- Detailed design and construction for Stage 2 and 3
- Northern car park development (construction commenced Nov 2020)
- Urban realm design for shared outdoor spaces
- Intensification works to upgrade existing Architecture and Design and Stone buildings
- Ongoing community consultation
- Staged campus transition to Inveresk
Monthly webinars are being scheduled to provide regular updates on the project - stay tuned for further details.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions
To provide feedback, ask questions or join the mailing list for project updates, you're welcome to Contact Us
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Northern Transformation, Locked Bag 1321, Launceston TAS 7250.