The Tax Clinic will focus on unrepresented and lower income clients, addressing an acknowledged gap in the market; it is not intended or expected to compete with professional tax advisors and accountants.
The Tax Clinic model implemented at Curtin University has operated as a proof of concept of a community run tax clinic and will form the basis for the Tax Clinics to be run as part of this National Tax Clinic program trial.
The objectives of the National Tax Clinic program trial grant opportunity are:
- Provide advice and support for unrepresented, lower income or vulnerable taxpayers and small businesses
- Assist in developing practical experience for students as the future of the tax profession
- Raise awareness and understanding of issues in the current tax system
- Ascertain the effectiveness of tax clinics (and potentially different models of clinics) in meeting those objectives
- Determine the most effective, efficient and sustainable funding and administration model for a National Tax Clinics program.
Level 2, 6 Grace St, Sandy Bay
Building D, level 0, Room D017